Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Don't let me forget!!

(This is where I would put an image of a finger tied with string but I am terrified about using photos found on the internet without royalty or permission!)

At quilt guild Monday night I was approached by the programs chair who asked me to give October's presentation.  I had offered, about a year ago, to do a fun and informative session I'd call, "Charmed!  Five easy ideas for five inch squares."  There are so many books out on nickel quilts and other great way to use charm squares, but I wanted to do something that didn't need a pattern - like hourglass, disappearing nine patches, HSTs, flying geese, etc.  I consider charm square blocks to be something like candy ... when a fabric line is threatening to move into obsolescence and I don't own any of it yet, I can pick up a charm pack for under $10 and have it forever.  Or at least until I'm willing to cut into it.  Anyway, Monica Solorio-Snow at the Happy Zombie gave me permission to use her wonderful hourglass block tutorial in a guild class - you might remember the Hoopla baby quilts I made with this pattern, which is around the time I thought to give the class:
But this has been in the back of my mind for so long that I am prone to think of it as a done deal ... despite the fact that I don't have any quilts to use as demos.  So I am going to have to start digging into my charm packs this summer and MAKE SOME QUILTS!  I cannot forget!

I have two blocks to work on for Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks testing, both are a bit more intricate than I have been tasked with previously, and so that will have to be the next project on deck.  After Sunday's marathon quilting day I have taken a few days off (yesterday was my birthday and we went out to dinner ... and I've gotten my Honey almost as interested in Downton Abbey as I am so the last couple of evenings have finished on the sofa in front of the big TV). 

I'm going to have to organize my summer a little more intently than I have so far.

1 comment:

  1. Learning to quilt was one of my goals for the year. I'm officially in quilt-envy over here. I hope your summer quilting goes well!

    ReplyDelete