Friday, July 1, 2011

Happy Holiday weekend!

It's Canada day to the north, and Fourth of July weekend here in the States.  Lots of people are gearing up for a long holiday weekend, and I'm no exception.  I'll flip 10,000 miles on my new car this weekend (I got it at the end of January) and we are setting the over/under on weekend mileage at, I think, 1,036.  It will be close.  On the bright side, I will get to see a dear friend for the first time in almost two years - I attended her wedding and she has since had a baby who is now standing and possibly even walking.  I will also visit an aunt in the hospital who has just learned yesterday she has metastasized melanoma and it's terminal.  At the end of the weekend I'll get my son and bring him home with me for the next six weeks (excepting one weekend).

So I'm not taking any sewing projects at all, not even handwork.  Most of the time I'll be seated, I'll be operating a motor vehicle or fully engaged with other people, so the handwork is staying at home.  And this is what currently qualifies as handwork:  my first attempt at hand piecing (which is actually proving to be pretty fun):



At Christmas, my Honey gave me a lot of fabric - three or four different charm packs, and a Moda candy bar pack.  I've been challenging myself to work with them without buying a lot more to go with it.  I loved the colors of the Pure line shown above and couldn't decide what to do.  I did find a collection of four Pure fat quarters on our local shop hop in May, so I pulled out the charm packs and decided to use some templates to cut them and hand piece them.  I was able to cut one of each shape from each 5" square so there was VERY little waste, which I was pleased with.  Now I just have to decide how to put them together.  These Drunkard's Path blocks can go together in SO many variations, and having four predominant colors (white, tan, blue and dark brown) makes it slightly more complicated.  Any thoughts?

I'll enjoy the time off from sewing, because it will make me all the more hungry to jump back into my sewing room next week.  Of course, we'll have three children in the house so I don't know how easy that will be, but my Honey is taking the week off from work so maybe it will be slightly easier than if we were both working full time during the day.

Happy weekend, everyone!  Do you have any sewing plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment