Thursday, June 30, 2011

fabric shopping!

Life has been a little chaotic these past few days.  The hiker is running behind since a big rainstorm that came through here Tuesday night drenched him and he got a late start Wednesday after waiting for his gear to dry out.  So instead, I got to the grocery store in a leisurely fashion and switched around the menus ... buying enough to take dinner over to my Honey's sister and brother-in-law's new house and enjoying an evening on their back deck.  The hiker should hit his trail mark today around noon, and I'll pick him up, bring him home, and work from there this afternoon while cooking up a big meal of spaghetti and meatballs and chocolate cake for dessert.  I won't get back into my sewing room again before the weekend, much of which I'll be spending on the road. 

Today I bought some new fabric from one of my favorite online shops, Green Fairy Quilts.  Judi and Clint are having a sale on Moda Samples and I have been on the lookout for a fabric line that would make a beautiful quilt for my Honey, since he's the one I haven't begun one for.  I saw Moda's Panier de Fleurs line and thought that would be just perfect - masculine colors but a classic, refined touch in the designs perfectly suits my Honey. 

I bought their fat eighth bundle and now will have to keep my mind open to what to do with it.  I did see this quilt designed with it by Gerri Robinson at Planted Seed Designs that struck my fancy, but I could do a lot of similar designs with it without needing to buy yet another pattern: 

Fat eighths should give me a lot to work with, and I have always liked the French General designs, so I'll be pleased to get these and work with them.  By the time I have a top put together, the line should hit the shops and I should be able to buy the coordinating fabric, maybe something from the wovens line.  I also couldn't resist picking up a pair of Cape Ann charm packs:
It's just so darn adorable.  I have no idea what I'll do with it, but I have the Nickel Quilts book and hope that something in there will appeal to me and that two sets of charms will be enough.  To me, charm packs are like bon bons ... they're so inexpensive, especially on sale, and such a great way to get my hands on every piece of fabric in a new line.  I have a total weakness for those blues and pinks together and have not made anything from that book yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment