Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Recent projects

One of the things I really like about the Star Quilter's Guild is that they take and post photos from each month's Show & Tell.  Considering I often send off a quilt before taking a good (or any) photo of it, this has been a great way for me to document what I do ... and get it out there.  Here are a few from the past two months; both quilts are made from Kim Brackett's scrap basket books on quilts from 2 1/2" strips, and both were quilted by Laura at Star City Stitchery.

This is a quilt called "Tool Shed" that I made for my cousin Joellen, whose husband was senselessly murdered by a neighbor in January.  Scott was a deep sea fisherman and I made all the colors in blues and greens.  Many of the fabrics actually came from Joellen back when she owned an antique shop and sent me a big pile of musty old fabrics.  There's a lot of symbolism in this quilt to try to give her hope that what you send out into this world comes back to you in another form.


This quilt, pattern "Pinwheel", I made out of Me & My Sister's Favorites and Happy jelly rolls and pieced it in an all-day Quilting Spa Retreat hosted by The Quilting Connection in Boone's Mill.  I have yet to finish the binding but it's most of the way finished.  This quilt is intended for my boyfriend's oldest daughter ... I'm working on quilts for all three of the kids and they're all in varying degrees of completion.

3 comments:

  1. These are such beautiful quilts! I saw these posted in the Flickr group, but didn't know the significance of the colors in the Tool Shed quilt. That's such a sweet thing for you to do for your cousin, and a wonderful way to celebrate his memory. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It's an honor to be visited by the author and designer of these books and patterns, and even more so to be complimented so nicely!

    ReplyDelete