Monday, October 17, 2011

such a lucky girl ...

I received my copy of Kimberly Einmo's new book, Jelly Roll Quilt Magic, late last week and my "Ready Set Snow!" jelly roll from Burgundy Buttons.  I haven't yet started cutting and piecing since I wanted to finish up some other projects first, but I am ready ... maybe this week, because my Honey is traveling tomorrow until the weekend. 

But even better, late on Friday I heard that I was a winner of the August FabShop Hop!  Yes, my name is on the list of those who won a $100 bonus prize!  My particular prize turns out to be a quilt kit and a bundle of 20 fat quarters!  It's already en route to me.  I wasn't super crazy about the photo of the kit quilt, but I have a few options ... I could donate the entire thing to the guild's holiday silent auction, or I could remove the coordinating fabrics and donate just the panel to the auction, or I could sew up the quilt and give it away to charity.  There is no way it will go to waste just because it doesn't suit my taste!

I did a bit of sewing over the weekend.  First, I finished the Prayer Flag/Jelly Girl top with the second border and it's ready to go to the quilter.  I cut and pieced all my Civil War Chronicles BOM for October.  I also basted down the red bias strip on the Kaleidoscope quilt and have begun hand appliqueing it ... sorry, no pictures.  On Sunday morning, I got up early (well, 8:30 is early for me on a weekend) and got to Jo-Ann Fabrics right as their Moonlight Madness sale began.  I did not want to miss those deals, including BOGO batting and $0.99 fat quarters!  I also needed a few supplies for a Christmas present I'm making for someone who has cats ... I bought this pattern on eBay last week and both fleece and flannel were big time discounted at Jo-Ann's. 

I am NOT a fan of making things from patterns ... just cutting apart the tissue is annoying enough.  Usually the directions leave something to be desired.  On this one, it calls for "foam" to support the pet house walls and serve as a cushion for the bottom, but didn't give a thickness.  I'm hoping that what I bought isn't too thick.  How anyone ever manages to turn one of those things into a finished garment that fits well is beyond me.

I will try to take some photos this week as I sew and share them here.  One of my other to-do items over the next couple of weeks is to prepare materials to be able to demonstrate needle-turn applique at my guild's November "how to" session, so that is something that is also top of mind lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment