Monday, March 26, 2012

I feel like a rock star!

Today I received a very special squishy in the mail (maimed by the U. S. Postal Service, with their apologies, but contents still intact).  It was a bundle of beautiful fat quarters from Quiltmaker Magazine.  Why?

Because I am part of the Block Testing Team for Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks, Volume 6!!!  Yes, me!!

I hadn't said anything yet because I had not yet received the fine print, but it was enclosed with the fabric.  Although I may tell others that I am part of the 100 Blocks Testing Team, I may not post or share pictures with anyone other than Quiltmaker staff until they have a promotion plan ready to launch.  I MAY take pictures along the way so that I am ready to post and share online at that time.  And I will!!!

I own volumes 2, 3 and 4 of the magazine and love them.  My Ghastlies quilt (in progress) is from one of them.  My shoes wallhanging (in progress) is from one of them.  I plan to make something using the Going Coastal fabric with a pattern from one of them.  Back in December when we had a guild challenge to make several blocks from one piece of fabric given to each member of the guild, I made several different blocks from the magazine issues because they were so easy to resize from 12" (finished) to the 9" specified by the guild.  Each member got one drawing entry for each block made, and three members took home the blocks.  In fact, one block I made was so popular that at last month's meeting the owner came to ask who had done it and where she could find the pattern! So I am an ardent admirer of the magazine and am SO excited to be in on the ground floor for Volume 6!

So stay tuned, I will share info as soon as I'm allowed!

6 comments:

  1. A big Congratulations Kristen!!! How exciting for you..will be looking forward to see what you create!!
    ~Terry~

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cool! Since I'm just learning how to quilt, make blocks, etc. I was wondering if you could do a post on how you managed to get in on this, what does it involve, are you a designer or just a sewer testing patterns, etc. To even have this sort of talent I find fascinating. I think this is so cool to be able to be behind the scenes on something. Looking forward to reading about your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool indeed. How in the world did you get involved? That would be a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, all! To answer the questions - it was very easy (almost too easy). I "like" Quiltmaker Magazine on Facebook and on March 13 they posted, "Quiltmaker is looking for some new block testers for 100 Blocks, vol. 6. Qualified testers must be proficient in a variety of sewing techniques, including foundation piecing and applique. If you are interested and would like more information, please email ..." and I did so right away (the next day there was a post saying they have all their block testers). I had to agree to a few terms and that was that! There was no requirement for samples of my work, or even an application form. I had to download Dropbox software so that they could easily share patterns with me (and I have two weeks to finish each pair of patterns that they send) and I am obligated to upload a photo of the finished block and fill out a Q&A form reviewing the instructions after each one. They sent a dozen fat quarters, coordinated from one fabric line, but I don't need to use them if I don't want to. Judy, I am sure that they would like to have beginners as well as longtime quilters, but you DO need to be comfortable with every form of block construction - traditional, appliqué, and foundation piecing - as you don't get a choice as to which types of blocks to make.

    My non-quilting friends look puzzled when I mention it so I tell them to think of a cookbook that needs people to test the recipes and give feedback as to whether the ingredients were right, the instructions were easy to follow, and the finished product tasted good.

    From within the subset of block testers they asked for sixteen (I think) people to volunteer to make an entire quilt by August, but I thought that would be too much for me and did not raise my hand on that one!

    Anyway, if you're interested, the first step is probably to "like" Quiltmaker Magazine on Facebook and visit often enough to see their posts as they ask for volunteers for such opportunities.

    Thanks again to everyone sharing my excitement. Non-quilters just don't really "get" it so it's so cool to be able to share with people who do!!

    ReplyDelete