Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Progress on Spanish Treasure

I made some progress on Spanish Treasure last night - laying out all the blocks on the floor (even though I had to lock the cat in the bathroom for a while when I got them organized ... what is it about quilt pieces laying on the floor that invite animals to lie on them?  At least the dog goes away when I tell him to!).  I wanted a nice mix of colors, busy vs. simple patterns, and yet I also wanted each block to pick up some colors from those around it.  To that end, I may have too many greens towards the bottom of this photo, but for the most part, I like how it's been put together.  However, I'll admit that this is a project that someone with a better sense of color could rearrange in a gorgeous blending of color and tone.

I began sewing the first two of eleven rows together.  My Honey has a business dinner tonight so I should be able to finish the rest of them tonight and maybe even put the top together and start on borders if I don't putz around too much after I work out and get home.

I'm blown away by all the comments I'm getting on my giveaway!  So far I'd say that the top three pieces of advice for dealing with teens are 1) LISTEN, 2) don't sweat the small stuff/pick your battles, and 3) be a parent, not a friend (a more challenging position for stepparents but still basically good advice).

I also finished the quilting on Jacob's Ladder, although I have no new photos to show you.  I want to get it bound and washed first (fingers crossed that the reds don't run into the whites too much ... a big chance when working with swap blocks, but I've got lots of Dye Catcher sheets) before I take any more pics.


6 comments:

  1. That is lovely. It looks like it was a ton of work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really pretty. I can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice but I do agree about too much green in the bottom. How about swapping some of them up for blocks in the upper left corner? It looks like that area could use some green.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. LOVE your quilt so far. It's really beautiful. I'm not real good with color either but there is one block in the upper left corner that I'd switch out. It's that gray colored block next to the blue ones and another that I can't tell if it's another grayish/blue block or light blue. That corner just looks like it needs more color. There's another that keeps grabbing my attention too pulling my focus right to that one. It's 5 blocks over from the left and then 4 blocks down - a polka dot colored block. But, maybe you want the focus there too, not sure.
    I do love the quilt so far though and the colors are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete